Resetting in PhpMyAdmin
If you have lost your admin password and you can't log into the backend, then you're able to reset the password in your PhpMyAdmin. Complete the following steps:
- Login to your cPanel control panel
- Select your database in PhpMyAdmin
- Select the jos_user table
- Click "Browse" and select "Edit" (the small pen on the user whose password you wish to reset)
- You will now see all user data in a form. Under the "password" field, you will see a long list of encrypted letters. Delete these letters, and type in a new password
- BEFORE saving, remember to select "MD5" in the "function" dropdown list.
- Save your new password and log into the backend of your Joomla site. Remember to reset the password again from the back-end, as the MD5 encryption is much more secure this way.